[FX.php List] [off-topic] A Windows question...

Jason LEWIS jasonlewis at weber.edu
Thu May 10 18:13:10 MDT 2007

Definately off topic, but 138 should be the port you need.  I think 137 is only used for the network browsing.  139 is for broadcasting messages.

netbios-ns      137/udp     # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns      137/tcp     # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm     138/udp     # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm     138/tcp     # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-ssn     139/udp     # NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp     # NETBIOS Session Service

>>> Derrick Fogle <derrick at fogles.net> 05/10/2007 4:50 PM >>>
...and the ports have to be open across firewalls, which isn't
common, because it's a big security risk for Windows computers. PS -
I don't know which port(s) they are off the top of my head.

On May 10, 2007, at 5:32 PM, Jason LEWIS wrote:

> XP will work great with OSX SMB filesharing.  To find a SMB server
> across subnets, you need to use the \\servername.domain.example.com
> \sharename format.

Derrick Fogle
derrick at fogles.net