[FX.php List] Confusion with 'not equals' search

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at exit445.com
Wed May 9 08:47:49 MDT 2007

Did anyone answer this question?

I was going to answer with what I understand to be the case...that
fx.php will only execute the last query submitted for a given field,
and ignore the previous query.  That would render a multiple query on
a single field non-functional.

Or..perhaps it is the opposite...fx.php accepts just the first query
and ignores the second.

I wanted to see how more experienced users responded.

Jonathan

At 5:31 PM +0100 5/8/07, Roger Price wrote:
>I have a simple database with a 'classification' field which
>contains the the values:
>
>event
>lectures
>seminar
>news
>vacancy
>
>I want to list all records that are neither news nor vacancy so I
>add the request lines
>
>$Query->AddDBParam('classification', 'news', 'neq');
>$Query->AddDBParam('classification', 'vacancy', 'neq');
>
>The default logical operator is 'and' so I would expect a find to
>return just 'events', 'lectures' & 'seminars' because these are not
>equal to news and not equal to vacancy, but I get all records
>returned.
>
>If  I add:$Query->AddDBParam('-lop','or');
>
>I just get a couple of 'vacancies' when I would have expected the
>full dataset including 'vacancy' and 'news because 'news' should be
>selected because they are not vacancies, and vacancy because it is
>not 'news'. Everything else should be included because it is neither!
>
>I am obviously missing something important and I know that multiple
>negatives can be confusing. When I only use one 'neq' it behaves as
>I expect. Is this a limitation of FX.php?
>
>I realise that there are other ways to achieve what I need but I
>would like to undersatand how 'neq' works!
>
>kindest regards
>
>Roger

Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group