[FX.php List] GET vs. POST in a web app

Erik Andreas Cayré erik at cayre.dk
Mon May 7 15:18:44 MDT 2007

Den 07/05/2007 kl. 23.08 skrev Bob Patin:

> Thanks Erik; I know that's possible, but what I needed is multiple
> WPEs all talking to one FM Server.
>
> I'm migrating from one web server to another, and wanted to put WPE
> on the new machine, get it running and connected, then move one
> site over, make sure it works, before moving the rest. As it is
> now, I'll have to turn off the existing WPE so that the other will
> connect, wait for the connection, switch all the DNS for the sites,
> and then everything will work. The problem is that it takes a while
> to switch all these DNS records, and so sites will be down longer
> this way...

Yes, my comment was based on Kevin apparently not knowing it's
possible that way around...

BTW: if you're not in a hurry, I have a suggestion:
First arrange to have all connections to the WPE go via just one DNS
record (eg. fms.longtermsolutions.com TTL 300)
That could take some time, but no site will be down even for a
minute, while you do this...
When done, do your switch, and only that one DNS record needs to be
updated for all DBconnections to jump on the new server!

I know this could be a pain if there are heaps of customersites, but
it's good investment. Next time you'll just smile and be done with it
real quick!

> So I've resolved myself to a 3AM switchover... :)
>
> Best,
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> bob at longtermsolutions.com
> 615-333-6858
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>
>   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
>      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
>      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
>      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
>      ICQ: 159333060
>

> On May 7, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Erik Andreas Cayré wrote:
>

>> Den 07/05/2007 kl. 0.58 skrev Kevin Futter:
>>
>>> This has caused me no end of head-scratching too, though for us
>>> our ideal
>>> scenario would exist in reverse - one WPE talking to multiple
>>> FMSA servers.
>>> Doesn't seem possible whichever way you shake it.
>>
>> Yes, one WPE engine talking to multiple FMServers *is* possible.
>> FMI has documented this...
>> See p.35 in the PDF titled fmsa8_web_install.pdf
>>

>> ---
>> Erik Andreas Cayré
>> Spangsbjerg Møllevej 169
>> 6705 Esbjerg Ø
>>
>> Privat Tel: 75150512
>> Mobil: 40161183
>>
>> ---
>> »Interesse kan skabe læring på en skala sammenlignet med frygt,
>> som en nuklear eksplosion i forhold til en kineser.«
>> --Stanley Kubrick
>>
>> »Kun p....sure mennesker kan ændre verden. Innovation skabes ikke
>> af 'markedsanalyse', men af folk, der er afsindigt irriterede over
>> tingenes tilstand «
>> --Tom Peters
>>
>> »Hvis du ikke kan forklare det simpelt, forstår  du det ikke godt
>> nok.«
>> -- Albert Einstein
>>
>> »Hvis du ikke har tid til at gøre det rigtigt, hvornår vil du så
>> have tid til at lave det om?«
>> -- John Wooden, basketball coach

---
Erik Andreas Cayré