[FX.php List] [Off Topic] Using PHP to Query and ODBC Data Source

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Wed Mar 28 16:55:58 MDT 2007

I am using PHP, OS X Server and Actual Technologies ODBC drivers to
pull data from Microsoft SQL Server. I am using the built-in PHP ODBC
functions. I did not do anything special other than download and
install the ODBC drivers to make this work. I did not have to
recompile PHP or any of that. It all just worked.

Actual's drivers are $30, and it was one of the best investments I
ever made, especially for the amount of integration it afforded me
between my FileMaker stuff and my client's "more standard" (yeah I
know) data source. Actual makes OS X ODBC drivers for SQL Server,
Sybase, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Access, and OpenBase. As far as I
know, no one - including Actual Technologies - has an OS X version of
a Progress ODBC driver.

It is probably true that you have to recompile PHP to support their
non-standard implementation of ODBCNET. I see two options - recompile
PHP as they have suggested, or move your Web Publishing Engine to a
Windows server that has the Progress ODBC access.

Hope this helps,
Dale