[FX.php List] Re: UPS XML tools

John Lannon jlannon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:36:47 MDT 2007

Alex,

*** Not an advertisement ***
NRG software offers an integrated Filemaker solution (NRG Package Toolkit
for UPS) that interfaces with UPS XML Tools. Considering the cost and time
associated with rolling your own, this toolkit may be well worth checking
out ($300 for a single license, I believe). Last I checked, it used a Java
plug-in to communicate with UPS.
*** End of Not an advertisement ***

That being said, doing it yourself can be useful and informative. If only
FMI would allow us POST requests... Alas, you're likely on the right track
with the php-based web service.

Theoretically, basic rates and services should be pretty straight forward.
Send a GET request to your php script with the relevant data (zip codes,
weight, etc), parse the data, construct an XML string that conforms to UPS
standards and use php's cURL functionality to submit the request. At that
point, you should be able output UPS's XML response. Parsing the XML can be
done with any of php XML libraries. This is very simple with PHP5+.

A few questions:
1) Which version of php are you using?
2) Are you using command line PHP?
3) Are you the Web Viewer to submit the request to your php script?
4) Have you acquired the UPS XML Tools documentation and conformed to their
XML standards when submitting your POST request?

There's a lot that can go wrong, but you can definitely make it work.

John