[FX.php List] [OFF] All/Most files appearing with ".bin" extension?

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Fri Mar 16 08:39:29 MDT 2007

Hi Jonathan-

I believe the .bin extension is added because OS X server has automatic
MacBinary-encoding.

I know this can be turned off by adding

influence_listings no

to the end of /Library/FTPServer/Configuration/ftpaccess

But I am not sure if that is recommended or not.  I don't have much
experience with encoding and I don't really know how likely files are to
become corrupt when transferring.

I'm not sure how BBEdit works remotely (I'm still using TextWrangler) -
or if the encoding settings are set inside BBEdit or if it uses the FTP
server from OS X.

This link may be helpful: