[FX.php List] Re: Which AJAX implementation do you guys use?

John Lannon jlannon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:34:12 MST 2007

ggt667,

I've used prototype, mootools and jquery.

I am most comfortable with prototype and now that the framework has
extensive
online documentation http://www.prototypejs.org/, there is more incentive to
use it. It is loaded with
features, so it's not exactly lightweight. If you don't mind the added
features, scriptaculous (built on
the prototype framework) is excellent, well-supported and well-documented.

Mootools is inspired by prototype and offers a similar feature set. Again,
it may be overkill if AJAX is all
your looking for, but the framework is elegant, a bit leaner than prototype
and seems to be a bit more
cutting edge.

Jquery is the leanest of the three and probably the most elegant. I have not
used it yet in a project, but it
playing with it, I am very impressed.

Again, all of these frameworks are likely overkill if you're only looking
for AJAX functionality. However, where there's
AJAX, there's often effects and each of these abstracts away all of the
heavy lifting.

John