[FX.php List] php 5 problems: I have tried to copy my existing scripts to php5 enabled servers

Carl Anderson Carl.Anderson at asu.edu
Mon Mar 5 08:57:53 MST 2007

Regarding isset() ...  Try empty($var) instead.  It returns false when you'd
expect it to (for the most part), even when the variable exists.

What I'll often do is something like this, just to be safe:

$var = trim($var);
if ( empty($var) ) {
    // do something if $var is empty
}

--
Carl Anderson
Technical Support Analyst

> From: Bob Patin <bob at patin.com>
> Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:48:44 -0600
> To: "FX.php Discussion List" <fx.php_list at mail.iviking.org>
> Subject: Re: [FX.php List] php 5 problems: I have tried to copy my existing
> scripts to php5 enabled servers
>
> I've always tested to make sure that not only is there a session
> variable by that name, but also that it's not empty, by using
>
> if(strlen($_SESSION['myvar'])>0)
>
> Probably an easier way, but it works fine for me so that's how I've
> been doing it...
>
> I used to use isset, but sometimes I found that a variable was there,
> but there was nothing in it...
>
> Bob Patin
> Longterm Solutions
> bob at longtermsolutions.com
> 615-333-6858
> http://www.longtermsolutions.com
>
>    CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
>       AIM or iChat: longterm1954
>       Yahoo: longterm_solutions
>       MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
>       ICQ: 159333060
>

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Dale Bengston wrote:
>
>> With PHP 4, I used to do a lot of evaluations like
>>
>> if ($_SESSION['whatever'])
>>
>> ...using the presence or absence of a variable to decide action.
>> PHP 5 requires more explicit references, like
>>
>> if (isset($_SESSION['whatever']))
>> if (!empty($_SESSION['whatever']))
>>
>> ...so I can't be sloppy any more. Maybe you're running into this?
>>
>> Dale
>>

>> On Mar 5, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:
>>
>>> php 5 problems: I have tried to copy my existing scripts to php5
>>> enabled servers
>>>
>>> It has problems, especially with ifs while traversing arrays in
>>> _REQUEST and _SESSION
>>>
>>> anyone else encountered this?
>>>
>>> ggt667
>>> FX.php_List mailing list