[FX.php List] FX.php compatibility with FMS 9.0

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Tue Jul 10 20:26:33 MDT 2007

Well, that's your opinion. Here's mine: It's irrelevant to my work.

To me, FileMaker is just a data pot. Over time, I use fewer and fewer
of its bells and whistles since I'm structuring my projects to use
one of many possible data sources. So, if I strip out all the things
that don't exist in SQL database back-ends, I'm never going to use
web portals or repeating fields or any scripting built into
FileMaker. I don't even use related fields.

So, is FileMaker 9 a major release? A minor upgrade? Having been the
marketing person at several software companies, I'm here to tell you
it's whatever the marketing person decides to label it. The more
agnostic I get about my data platform, the less the version matters
on any of them.

Also, my bleeding-edge days are over. I don't expect to deploy
anything on FileMaker 9 before a year goes by. I'm at the mercy of my
clients' upgrade timelines. Fine with me; by then we'll be on 9.0v5
or something, and all the major bugs will be squished.

Dale