[FX.php List] FX.php compatibility with FMS 9.0

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Jul 10 19:51:04 MDT 2007

I think it deserves a new version number; there are a lot of
significant changes, not the least of which is the ability to create
a PHP web interface without knowing any PHP. For lots of people this
is going to be a huge improvement. I watched a demo of the PHP code
generator (I forget what they call it) and was impressed to see a
nice little web app get created in less than 2 minutes.

They've also made some fairly significant improvements in the way
that FileMaker deals with SQL--not something that I'll use in the
immediate future, but having dealt with writing SQL queries in the
past, something I'm glad to see that they implemented.

I haven't fooled with the dynamic field resizing yet, but I can see
how this will be useful.

I like the ability to have multiple script windows open, to be able
to group scripts, to be able to hide/show groups.

I do wish they'd put in script triggering upon field changes, but
I'll have to deal with plugins a while longer.

Also, the ability to have PHP functionality in FMS as opposed to FMSA
is going to mean that lots of companies will be using web apps and
hosting their files internally--not something I as a web host am glad
to see, but I think it's a smart move for FMI.

I'd be interested to hear what others think as well...

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions