[FX.php List] The web password in FX

Andrew Denman adenman at tmea.org
Thu Jan 25 11:19:53 MST 2007

Gary,

This is an issue I've seen several people on the net complain about, but
I've never seen anyone provide a good explanation on how to really "fix" it.
The problem is everyone has their database passwords in plain text in their
code files, so all a black hat has to do is get into your files and they
have free reign of your database.

The solution is to encrypt your passwords, put the encrypted text in your
code files, and then decrypt them right before connecting to the database.
I've searched for help on doing this in the past and there hasn't been much
out there.  The hard part (especially on hosted websites) is implementing
this in a way that isn't just a smokescreen.

I gave up on my past efforts, so I unfortunately don't have any direction to
point you towards other than what's written above.  If you do find something
that works please pass it on.

Andrew Denman
  _____