[FX.php List] RE: Security Concerns with FileMaker Website

Edward L. Ford elford at cs.bu.edu
Wed Jan 24 08:58:32 MST 2007

Stephen does raise a good point about possibly blocking legitimate
users, which is a major concern.  My goal is to allow search engine
bots access to the site, but to tell other bots to "go away."  This
is a public website, so login is not an option.  I already have a
robots.txt file that tells the known search engines where to not go
-- it's just those danged spam bots that ignore robots.txt.

I may have to forego trying to handle URLs that go outside of this
site and let the bots do what they do.  However, I absolutely do need
to prevent email harvesting, so here are some different options I'm
considering -- which one is the best choice?  The tradeoff between
spam bot prevention and user friendliness is a major point:

1) "Email Jane Doe" which is a link to a HTML form that sends the
message to Jane Doe without showing her email address.  No Captcha here.
2) No. 1, but with a captcha (then we have problems with
accessibility to the visually impaired)
3) Display Jane Doe's email address as an image using GD, maybe with
small "confetti" in the back to make it hard to OCR  (Facebook does
something like this), forcing users who want to mail the person to
type the address
4) A marriage between 1/2 & 3

Thoughts?
--Ed