[FX.php List] shopping cart solutions and filemaker

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Feb 6 17:12:12 MST 2007

FXCart is set up to talk to Verisign, and they have another version
that talks to Paypal. The Verisign version that I used uses their
pages to actually take the card number.

In my latest cart I used Cybersource and wrote my own pages for
processing the credit card info, and then I POST all the data
directly to Cybersource; they call that a "silent POST."

Here the problem I've had with a hosted order page, where the gateway
provides the page for capturing the credit card info:

1. Customer goes to cart, selects items, is ready to checkout
2. Customer is sent to the gateway's page, where the credit card info
is captured and processed
3. Customer returns to cart site, where emails are sent to the seller
and to the customer, and the database is updated--the sale moves into
a different table from the "temp orders" table

Step 3 is the problem; to return to the cart from the gateway, the
customer is supposed to click a button. However, if they DON'T click
the button, then the emails never go out to the customer and seller,
and the order isn't written into the Sales table.

So I've moved away from using the hosted order page because it's too
error-prone; now I use a page of my own to capture the credit card #
and then send it to the gateway, but the customer never leaves the
cart site. This way I'm assured that the database will be properly
updated and that the emails will go out to the customer and seller.

I think Verisign uses both methods (silent post and hosted page);
Cybersource definitely does. I just did a site with Cybersource last
week...

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954