[FX.php List] [OFF] Question about RDNS

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Sun Dec 30 12:37:09 MST 2007

Jonathan,

I think you shouldn't try to make them behave like the same machine,
it's not in the nature of what you're doing. For example, are you
expecting a client to go to the IP of machine A, look up its domain
name, and based on the result from that query, go to machine B? Seems
awkward to me :)

Anyhow, I would give both machines their own name, and put them under
your domain. For example, luke.yourdomain.com and
leya.yourdomain.com, or fm.yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com.
After that it's a question about what services you have on the
servers and what domains you need to respond to. For example, you
need to configure your httpd on the second machine to listen to
www.yourdomain.com and likely yourdomain.com as well. But ground up
they are two different machines.

Of course, there are ways to let users connect to one domain name/
address only, like for example if you have a router in front of your
servers you can probably set it up to direct Filemaker traffic to
your fm server (a possible scenario if you need to support both some
webbased service and direct fm connections). But this is a second
question.

// Leo