[FX.php List] IWP vs CWP

Glenn Singleton glenn at thesingletons.id.au
Sat Dec 1 12:44:41 MST 2007

Hi Frank

I have been doing IWP & CWP since FMS7A came out. I have some
functioning simple IWP apps (e.g. stationery ordering) that work OK.

I also spent nearly 2 years developing an application that was for
FMS8A IWP and we were about to do a pre-release and Filemaker
released Filemaker 9 Server that comes with CWP and you only have to
buy Filemaker Server 9 Advanced if you want IWP or xdbc. We aborted
the release thinking no-one would want to pay the extra money for
Server Advanced just for (in this case) IWP, we are about to release
our CWP version.

IWP development was fast for layout, but I agree with all the things
others have said as well as :-
1. The biggest problem is different results for different browsers
(or even same browser on different platforms).
2. Forget about multiple .fp7 files if you have local web users
(intranet) and remote web users (internet), never found a solution to
link them.
3. It's very,very slow compared to CWP
4. There are so many things that you have to find "other" solutions
for, in our case we were going with PHP (for email, PDF reports) as
well as IWP

If it is a small straight forward Filemaker (functions) only, you can
try IWP but all long term solutions tend to go CWP.

Just my 2c

Glenn Singleton