[FX.php List] Backing up to an external drive

Jay Sayers jaysayers at mac.com
Thu Aug 9 10:59:34 MDT 2007

I successfully back up to a drive other than the boot drive. It IS an
internal drive in our XServe.

At the "under the hood" closing session as well as an early "Server
Best Practices" session at Devcon 2007 ( just yesterday ) they
stressed that backing up directly to a network drive could be a
disaster. Filemaker server would have to wait while the back was
complete AND if ANYTHING were wrong with the network connection
( cable comes unplugged?), the backup would be worthless among other
things.

Best practice is to backup locally to the server, then move THAT
backup copy elsewhere.

Jay