[FX.php List] Backing up to an external drive

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Aug 9 07:52:30 MDT 2007

My understanding has been that FM Server 8, and now 9, will not allow
backing up to other than an internal drive, but I could be wrong. I
don't remember where that information came from, but I *think* that I
got it straight from FileMaker, Inc., from a tech.

The best method that I've found for safe database deployment is a
RAID 5 on the machine (which I'm implementing sometime in the next
week) with backups to this RAID, and then pulling the backup sets off
to a remote computer, where I burn to DVD-R on a regular basis.

Is there ANYONE on this list who successfully makes scheduled backups
to other than the boot drive? Is your backup volume internal or
external (can't see how that would matter, just looking for clarity
here)?

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954