[FX.php List] [OFF sort of] Shifting from 8.5 to 9 gradually

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Tue Aug 7 10:22:11 MDT 2007

I've got FileMaker Pro 9, FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced, and FileMaker Server 9 from the FMI maintenance program, but I haven't installed or used any of them yet.

We are a small company, and I do all the customer service, orders, FM and web programming... not enough hours in the day. I'd like to gently switch to 9 if possible, a piece at a time.

It's very important that I don't mess up our web site, 100% of our sales come from there, so I _think_ I'd like to cope with switching Server over last.

I'd like to be able to use the advanced authoring tools of FMPro 9 Advanced right way (like having multiple script windows open), so I _think_ I'd like to put that on my machine first. If it takes it, I could avoid using new database features so that the client machines (10 of them, FMP 8.5) don't urp.

Can I mix the various versions of the different components without causing troubles?

I sure don't want my PHP to stop working, let alone employees' workstations.

-Troy