[FX.php List] Saving PDFs

Erik Andreas Cayré erik at cayre.dk
Thu Apr 26 09:56:54 MDT 2007

Den 26/04/2007 kl. 21.02 skrev Bob Patin:

> I have a client who wants to put her database on our server and use
> IWP; one of the things that she wants to do is to save PDFs, which
> would then be downloaded by her clients.
>
> Is there a way to save PDFs to a machine other than the database
> server (in my case, to the web server)? How about with PHP? Is
> there a way to do it there? I know how to do it in a database
> itself, but over the web I'm wondering how to make this happen.

I understand your question to read:
-can the PDFs –which FM8 can generate– be transferred easily/reliably
to a web-client accessing FM via IWP/CWP?

According to FMP85_scripts_reference.pdf the Script step "Save
records as PDF is *not* web-compatible...

So it seems you are left with having PHP somehow genererating the PDF.

<shameless plug>
We have developed a web service (www.w2p.dk) using PHP4/FMU6/FPDF
The service is meant to ease production of template -based PDF's for
print (Business cards is an obvious example), and thus lower the cost
for the customer (not having to hire a prepress pro for $$/hour doing
simple editing and revisions, which the customer could easily do
herself).

Feel free to poke around in the demo and comment if you care to...
</shameless plug>

When we started this project about 1,5 years ago, we also had a look
at PDF-lib, but decided to start 'cheap' using the free FPDF class
and associated extensions (like FPDI). Until now, we haven't had a
reason to regret that choice.
Our only serious gripe is with the use of fonts in FPDF, which is in
serious need of improvement...

---
Erik Andreas Cayré
Spangsbjerg Møllevej 169
6705 Esbjerg Ø

Privat Tel: 75150512
Mobil: 40161183

---
»Kun p....sure mennesker kan ændre verden. Innovation skabes ikke af
'markedsanalyse', men af folk, der er afsindigt irriterede over
tingenes tilstand «
--Tom Peters

»Hvis du ikke kan forklare det simpelt, forstår  du det ikke godt nok.«
-- Albert Einstein

»Hvis du ikke har tid til at gøre det rigtigt, hvornår vil du så have
tid til at lave det om?«
-- John Wooden, basketball coach