[FX.php List] one machine intallation

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Apr 24 08:48:53 MDT 2007

My understanding is that FMI recommends splitting FMSA and WPE onto 2
separate machines. I would guess that this has to do with spreading
the load a bit; we've always done it that way here, putting WPE on
the web server machine. However, I had a long conversation with
another consultant the other day; he told me that they run WPE on the
FMSA machine and have had great results.

I was about to buy a new FMSA machine, and was getting different
opinions on machines, configurations, etc., so I finally went to the
source and called a friend at FMI. Here's what he told me:

1) I asked about buying a quad-core Mac 2.66 to run FMSA, as opposed
to the 1.8GHz Intel Mac we're using now. He said that what we're
running now was plenty, and that we wouldn't notice any speed
improvements on a 2.6 quad-core, since FMSA didn't use enough
processing power to utilize the power of a 2.6 in such a way that
we'd notice any difference.

So we decided to stick with our current machine for running FMSA for
the present.

2) I asked about web servers; as I suspected, he confirmed that the
speed bottleneck with FMSA and a web application is in WPE, where the
PHP code is interpolated (not sure if that would be the correct term)
into XML. So logically, the machine running WPE needs to be as fast
as possible.

He also opined that the best place to put WPE is on the web server.
This makes sense, since it leaves the FMSA machine free to deal
solely with FileMaker tasks; since FMSA does all the number-
crunching, as opposed to earlier versions of FM Server, it makes
sense to leave it by itself to handle FileMaker-related tasks.

So we ordered a new quad-core Mac Pro for our web server, and will
have 5GB of RAM on it; eventually I'll add a 2nd one for FMSA, but it
sounds like the need is not so critical there as I'd originally been
led to believe.

I'd be interested in hearing from others about this; I've gone round
and round with a few others, all of whom giving me different
opinions, but I *believe* this is the optimal setup for FMSA and a
web server. The new Mac Pro will be here Thursday, so I'll be sure to
report on the speed improvement.

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: