[FX.php List] Folder path?

Edward L. Ford elford at cs.bu.edu
Mon Apr 23 00:05:42 MDT 2007

I don't have direct access to a FM Server or a reason to investigate
this for my own needs, but I'd thought I'd provide some of the
thoughts I had about this subject:

While not being able to specify where FMSA stores its db files seems
odd, maybe it is FMIs choice to limit where the files are stored for
database integrity reasons, as someone else already stated.  FMI
states very clearly in one of the manuals the problems with opening
files from a file server (i.e. a non-FMSA database), and all of those
issues ultimately stem from reliability problems with a network
connection.  I know about these problems that can occur through this
far too well, as I spent three weeks over the summer recreating a
database from scratch because the original database was opened from a
Novell server for years before I came on staff -- the corruption in
sections of the file was so bad that recreating it from scratch was
the only solution I could justify.  (If anyone thinks they have
FileMaker database corruption issues, or would like to prevent them
from happening, I have two short PDFs on my website, linked in my
signature, with some tips and helpful references.)

By the same logic, this may be disallowed because IO channels can get
congested, especially with large files over USB (1.1 or 2.0).
Further, hardware fails, so what sort of undefined behavior would
occur if a database request comes into FMSA, and all of a sudden, the
server can't access the other drive because it's become unplugged,
crashed, or whatever else can befall a drive.  If the databases are
stored on the same drive as the FMSA software and the OS, at least if
there's a problem, FMSA and/or the OS probably wouldn't be able to
start in the first place.

I did notice that everyone replying to this was using FMSA on OS X.
Has anyone investigated this with a Windows machine?  Checking out
that angle would verify if the problem was from OS X Tiger
restrictions, or if it's deliberately prevented by FMI.

My two cents,
--Ed
http://www.edwardford.net