[FX.php List] Generic error message?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Mon Apr 9 11:56:26 MDT 2007

Alex,

Thanks for the input...

I already use several methods to check my servers. One of them, which
I've used now for almost 10 years, is called PageSentry; it runs on
the Mac, and I believe is no longer being sold; it works in
conjunction with some special power strips that I buy from
Sophisticated, Inc., (sophisticated.com); these USB power strips are
hooked to the Mac that monitors each server rack. PageSentry performs
a specific test for each server; for some, like my mail server, FM
servers, and my DNS servers, it's a simple ping; for my FileMaker
Unlimited machines, it requests a specific HTML page that also
triggers a FileMaker query; for my web servers, I request a specific
HTML page.

When a machine fails, PageSentry is programmed to cycle the power on
a specific outlet on the power strip, and also to send me a failure
email. Then, when the machine comes back online, I get a 2nd email
telling me that the server is back up.

Using this system, I monitor all 35 of my servers; if any machine
fails, I get an email and the machine restarts. In addition, if a
machine fails to restart by itself, I can dial a phone line that is
connected to all of these power strips; using a special code for each
server, I can restart any of the 35 machines remotely, just by
dialing in the code.

HOWEVER...

What I really would like is to have some code in one of my clients'
sites that would display an error page if the FileMaker server is
unavailable for any reason--if I'm restarting it, if anything like
that should happen.

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: