[FX.php List] Strange session variable behavior

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Apr 1 10:09:25 MDT 2007

Dan,

So my understanding of session variables has been wrong all this time
I guess...

I thought that if I set a session variable  to "Y" for example, then
closed my browser, when I returned, this session variable would have
no value yet because I hadn't set it yet in this session.

 From reading the article you referenced I still am not sure how to
ensure that a session ends when someone closes their browser. For
example, when I develop a cart, I have always used session variables,
and they've worked fine; when someone closes their browser, their
cart is emptied, no matter how many items were in it.

Why, in this current project, does my session variable persist? All
I've done is to set it in a previous visit...

To make it even stranger, I wrote a test page with this on it:

session_start();
session_destroy();

I went to that page, then went BACK to my other page to see the state
of my session, and I'm still being told that my session variable has
a value.

Is this something goofy in PHP? Should I restart my server?? :)

Bob