[FX.php List] Two DB's or One?

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Mon Sep 25 17:35:32 MDT 2006

On 23/9/06 11:55 AM, "Jonathan Schwartz" <jonathan at eschwartz.com> wrote:

> Up until now, all my fx.php solutions have been built around an
> isolated FMP database to serve the web.  When there is a primary db
> back at the client, I use various routines to update and synch the
> two, as needed. Obviously, none of the solutions required live
> up-to-the-second data availability on the web.
>
> I'm wondering how many folks are using the same db for both internal
> and web publishing?  If so, how is it working out?  If not, why not?
>
> A little bit more detail...if the client isn't sophisticated, doesn't
> have an IT staff or a fast WAN connection, this would suggest to me
> *not* to keep the web db at the client office.  Rather, keep the web
> db at a reliable web host.
>
> One more detail.  I promise. ;-)....If the solution is in FMP 6, that
> would pretty much rule putting the entire solution in a remote
> hosting location, because FMP is so poor in a WAn environment.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jonathan

We do this as a matter of necessity - we have close to 100 FM databases that
the school relies on in various ways. Some of the data in some of the
databases needs to make it on to the website. So we simply enable that
particular db for web access and the website retrieves the data as
necessary. I feel much happier doing this in v8 than v6, but most of our dbs
are still in v6.

Does this have negative impacts? You betcha. For one, if someone fiddles
with any of the dbs (makes changes etc), they usually don't tell me, and it
just silently stops working on the website. I've had people rename fields
and even whole databases that the website talks too! (It's really only one
person actually...)

Another problem is that it's extremely difficult to work on a database to
improve it (for either web or internal use) when it's absolutely relied on
by the entire school every working day. Web-only dbs don't present this kind
of problem.

Of course, there's the security issues too, which I'm always anxious about.
What if crucial admin data gets inadvertently exposed to the web?

But really, none of these things are performance issues, which with FM often
comes down to the hardware involved. Our old FMU6 box is a lowly G4-466,
whereas our FMSA8 box is a mid-level G5 (2GHz I think), and there's a *HUGE*
difference in response. And the WPE is running on a G3-450!

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.