[FX.php List] Anyone using XSLT anymore?

DC dan.cynosure at dbmscan.com
Wed Sep 20 08:53:22 MDT 2006

Hi Bob,

Did you ever get the caching solution down? Also, did you try a
redesign of the HTML deployment system with the HTML files stored in
the filesystem and the FMP database holding the paths? I would think
an include() php call would be faster than trying to dump HTML files
out of FMP.

I looked at XSLT when I first went to the web with FMP and it looked
so kooky that I scrambled for other options. Luckily I found FX.php
just in time. Thanks, Chris.

I believe that the XSLT engine deals with the raw XML out of FMP WPE.
In FX.php there is a translation stage where XML is changed from XML
to PHP arrays. That adds some overhead. But, XSLT has another problem
that FX does not: the relative numbers of people who can design,
maintain and fix an XSLT system is very small.

Furthermore, going with XSLT will not help your old client with their
main problem which is an architectural problem: they want to host and
serve HTML files from inside an FMP database instead of in the
filesystem where they belong. In fact, the best system would be to
host the HTML files in the database AND on the filesystem. That way
they can use FMP search features to search and then use the
filesystem paths to serve HTML.

just some random thoughts,
dan