[FX.php List] Yikes! mail() has stopped working

Stephen Knight stephen at fmwebschool.com
Tue Sep 12 10:07:54 MDT 2006

The mail function as well as SMTP connections have been known to drop due to
ISP restrictions. A few weeks back I was attempting to use the PEAR SMTP
class to deliver the mail since my localhost did not have a mail server -
when monitoring my packets it was clear that the SMTP connection was
immediately closed. After some research this was due to port 25 being
blocked by the ISP - your ISP might have similar restrictions. Also have you
tried different email addresses (on different hosts), I suspect some might
be blocking SMTP connections from domains that do not have proper mail
credentials, since that could be the case with a local server.

But all that is under the assumption that the server is hosted on a
residential or a small business ISP connection - in a data center, I would
be looking at the mail server logs instead.

In Kindness
Stephen K Knight
http://www.fmwebschool.com
800.353.7950 / 386.453.5843
FMWebschool, we bring the web to life
FX.PHP PHP XML MySQL CDML ASP

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This Electronic Mail (e-mail) contains confidential
and privileged information intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is sent. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery to the
distribution, or copying of this communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender by reply e-mail or telephone.