[FX.php List] Related or Not

gerry.charest at agfa.com gerry.charest at agfa.com
Thu Oct 26 05:35:05 MDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm in the thick of things rebuilding several FMP5 CDML web based solutions
converting them to FMP8 and PHP.  Each solution contains common elements or
has need of like functions (log-in, document storage, email etc.).  Rather
than duplicating these features and others in multitabled files and
replicating the data all over the place. I have broken out the common
elements to separate data files and used file references to establish the
relationships where necessary.  Creating common elements as shared
resources.  From a database perspective this is looking much cleaner than
the older FMP5 solutions.

I chose to use separate files for each task as each contains a substantial
amount of data, well within the FMP limits but still a mouth full.  Smaller
related data requirements are maintained within the file for each solution.
Needless to say portals are used everywhere.  PHP has been great for
displaying the related data quickly and efficiently, and here is the rub,
related data from the same file works great. Attempting to display data
from a portal created using a file reference is not displayed in the array.
I have resorted to another query to collect the external files data.  My
question is this, Is this normal behavior or is there some trick I'm
missing to make all the data available in the layout available from a
single query? Thoughts and observations?

Best
Gerry