[FX.php List] Forms that create new records

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Wed Oct 25 19:43:38 MDT 2006

Jonathan,

The browser will put up an alert if you are about to re-post the form
to the server. The back button will trigger this if you back up over
a form submit.

One way to handle this kind of multi-page data collection is to have
a landing page or "hub" that aggregates the entire application,
showing which pieces have been completed and which have not. You give
them the first page (form), and when they submit that, they land on
the hub, which allows them to edit that section, or click on a link
to complete any other section they choose. If all your form submits
land you back on the hub page, then it's easy for your patrons to
click links to re-edit a section rather than go for the back button.

Using a hub page allows people to see progress better, and fill out
your application sections in any order. When all the sections are
complete, your hub page shows a "submit" button. At the point of
submitting the application, and all along the process, your patrons
can review their work so far.

I would opt for the "create record on first form and edit
subsequently" model rather than storing the entire app in session
variables.

Dale