[FX.php List] Forms that create new records

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at eschwartz.com
Wed Oct 25 17:40:00 MDT 2006

Hi Folks,

A while back, I initiated a discussion about whether or not to spread
out form data collection on several pages versus on long form.  In
that case, where the sole activity was editing existing records, I
went with the multiple page method which was made easy through the
use of sessions.

New project.  The process is filling out  a series of form page to
generate a single new registration record.  I can think of two ways
to approach the process: 1) storing the data in session variables
until the last page is reached, and then dumping it to FMP with
FMNew().  One advantage is that no new records will be created until
the process has been completed. It will also be faster because
FileMaker will not be involved until the last step.   2) Create the
record on the first page and edit the record's data as the user
progresses from page to page.

What is the wisdom on these approaches, or other approaches?

Thanks

jonathan
--

Jonathan Schwartz