[FX.php List] Ajax/LAJAX's JavaScript requirements

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed Oct 18 17:11:20 MDT 2006

On 19/10/06 7:19 AM, "Joel Shapiro" <jsfmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've just been playing w/ LAJAX and it's very cool, but I'm wondering
> how practical it is to use in a real site because of its JavaScript
> requirements (this would be for anything using Ajax).  I doubt many
> people these days disable JavaScript on their browser, but because
> it's a possibility, it seems you'd need to test for it first and then
> provide other options for when JS is disabled (or provide
> instructions for the user to enable it).  Also, I notice that LAJAX
> requires JavaScript 1.2, but that seems likely a non-issue since that
> came out in 1997 (or is it?).
>
> How are people dealing with this?  Anyone using it in production?
>
> Thanks,
> -Joel

Few people deliberately disable JavaScript, so you're right there (though
some indeed do). However, some corporate firewalls will be configured to
strip JS from HTTP transactions as a security measure. At the end of the
day, since JS is a core component of any AJAX mechanism, you need to treat
it like any other JS functionality: always provide a fallback. In fact, the
best way to handle this is to build a framework that works as advertised
without any fancy scripts or AJAX, and then overlay that functionality using
unobtrusive scripting techniques. Graceful degradation is the end result,
and should be a primary goal of modern web development.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.