[FX.php List] Ajax/LAJAX's JavaScript requirements

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Wed Oct 18 16:42:00 MDT 2006

Joel,

My sites are all closed-loop corporate solutions, so lack of
JavaScript support is not something I have to deal with.

I don't know what the differences are between LAJAX and what's more
commonly referred to as AJAX. Basically, I'm using XMLHttpRequest to
harvest data from user input and submit it to a PHP page, which uses
FX to act on FileMaker and return some data to the same page without
reloading the page in the browser. A lot of my sites allow users to
customize a printed piece, review proofs on the screen, and then
create final art that then goes directly into a print shop's workflow.

You can see a simple, raw prototype of my approach (written about two
years ago) on my web site:
	<http://www.streamline-studio.com/studio.php?cat=demos&loc=stationery>

I would not use AJAX to post my accounts payable or to retrieve or
manipulate a list of thousands of records, but for collecting user
input and acting on it, I can see no real limitation in functionality
here. In fact, it opens up the possibilities, like allowing basic
manipulation of a list of records all at once, which is not really
possible with a form-submit-reload-page scenario. (Well it is, but
it's pretty nasty.)

When I first tried it, I wanted to do everything in AJAX. Then I
rolled back and almost walked away from the technique altogether. Now
I do the stuff that makes sense in AJAX and save the rest for
traditional form posts.

Dale

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org