[FX.php List] Showing last related record - sort in FM or just PHP?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 17:49:50 MDT 2006

Thanks Dan...

> the fmp wpe doesn't care if you put related fields in a portal or
> not; it will return all related records to the FX.php result data
> whether you put the related field in a portal or not. so, putting a
> related field in a portal doesn't modify the data set.

well that's a bummer (but certainly good to know)

> my best advice, sort in fmp in the relationship definition.

but if the WPE will spit back *all* related records regardless,
wouldn't it be faster to have FM return all the data unsorted and do
the sorting within PHP?

>  if you want to get really trick and you are sure you only ever
> need one (most recent) record you can make a calc field that just
> returns the last record. that way PHP doesn't have to transform a
> bunch of XML data that you'll never use.

I've heard it's optimal to not have calc fields on the web layout if
possible (for speed), but do you think that in this case it could
still be faster than returning all related records?

Thanks very much,
-Joel