[FX.php List] Repeating Fields and MySQL

Jon Montgomery vicepresident at onecliq.net
Wed Oct 11 16:29:53 MDT 2006

Hi,
    A project I have been working with in FileMaker since version 4 is
needing to go to the web.  Well I can get FX.PHP to work for the data entry
by school music people fine.  But there are DB structure problems that have
happened when upgrading to the newer versions of FileMaker.  Going from the
Flat file to the fully relational part has not happened.
    The university people that are working on web based project side of this
data base are not FileMaker people and that makes them not FX.PHP people
either.  They think the need is to go with MySQL.  I have read that many of
you use both. ( I am a music instructor by trade and a FileMaker Data Base
person on the side because no one else would do it and nothing commercial
exists.
    The data base is pretty complex in it's functions for administration and
I have been able to make it do a lot of things.  (the problem is that it
might not have been the "best practice" in order to make it work, it just
works.)  Now that we have the university involved and the goal is to make it
all web based, we have run into many problems.

    Here is the dilemma that I think one or more of you can solve and prove
to the university what a fine program FileMaker is and that it CAN do all
that it needs to and be web based.
    We need to collect data in MySQL and import it into FileMaker to get us
by the first phase of online data collection.  The FileMaker program has two
repeating fields, first name (with 20 repetitions) and last name (with 20
repetitions)
    Main question, how do we turn the MySQL data for first and last names
and import it into FileMaker's Repeating fields?

    Your help will be much appreciated.

Jon Montgomery

--
Jon Montgomery