[FX.php List] Handling heavy loads

Greg Lane glane at moyergroup.com
Tue Oct 10 23:33:06 MDT 2006

Hi Jonathan,

It sounds like you need to do some testing to determine how many
users the current system can handle with acceptable performance. Then
you can determine whether changes in your application might be
sufficient to meet the expected demand without needing to throw
additional hardware at the problem.

I've used a program called Web Application Stress Tool for this kind
of testing. It will simulate any number of users and, if the test is
set up correctly, show you at what level the performance is
unacceptable.

	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231282

If your system requires a login, you may need to set up some test
pages which simulate the various processes of the system without
needing to be logged in. I don't believe WAST will send POST requests
or maintain cookies.

Greg