[FX.php List] Cookies OFF still a problem

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at eschwartz.com
Thu Nov 23 02:18:09 MST 2006

Hi Folks,

I know that I've asked this question before, and have been referred
to php manual pages, which I've studied to death.  I just can't seem
to get it to work in my environment (OS X Server 10.4) PHP 4.4 1.

I'm hoping that someone can look at my php info (below) and detect a problem.

First question: From reviewing the php info below, are the settings
correct?  One of the confusing factors, the online manual refers to
"1" and "0", while my settings show "On" and "Off".

I know that one of the key settings id session_use_only_cookies, but
I can't quite decide if this needs to be On or Off for the "magic" to
happen in the URL.

Finally, I tried using ini_set at the top of the starting page, but
I'm not sure exactly where this goes...before or after
session_start()...and would I set this "1", "0", "On" or "Off".

I've tried them all.

Does anyone have a site that has this feature working?  I'd like to
see the results both with and without my browser cookes turned on, so
that I know what to expect.

My test this far is to set a session variable on the first page and
then test for the existence of the variable on the second page.  If
the variable is not set, I throw up a warning and tell the user that
they can't use the site. Not good.

Sure would love to resolve this one.

Thanks.

Jonathan