[FX.php List] [Slightly OFF] Can't access site from outside LAN

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Thu Nov 16 18:19:00 MST 2006

On 17/11/06 11:37 AM, "Joel Shapiro" <jsfmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I just put up a beta of an FX.php project at a client's office.
> Everything works fine viewing the website from their computers (url=
> IP address of FMSA box), but I can't access their server from outside
> their LAN.  (The error msgs I get are: "Safari could not open the
> page ³http://xxx² because the server stopped responding." and "The
> operation timed out when attempting to contact [IP address]" in Firefox)
>
> Their IT person says there are no firewalls.  I had her try opening
> the ports 50003 & 50006 (in addition to 5003), but that didn't help.
> This is a 'one-box' FMSA configuration, Mac OS X (10.4.x) Intel.
>
> I know it's not specifically a FM/FX issue since the site is up fine
> internally, but I thought maybe someone here might have an idea of
> what they can do.
>
> Thanks,
> -Joel_______________________________________________

It sounds to me like they're not using a public IP. Does the IP you're
trying to hit start with 192 or 10? If so, it's a private IP address, and no
one outside their network will know anything about it. They may not have a
firewall, but they must have at least a router at the head of their network
to direct traffic at the internal/external interface. This should be able to
be configured to direct all requests on the necessary ports to the relevant
IP address.

Other than that, I have no idea.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.