[FX.php List] Scriptaculous and FX.PHP

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Tue Nov 14 19:36:05 MST 2006

Hi everyone-

Have any of you ever used the Scriptaculous JavaScript library with
fx.php on any web applications? http://script.aculo.us/
If you aren't familiar with Scriptaculous, it contains all sorts of
visual effects and a bunch of different drag-and-drop effects.
The visual effects were quite simple to implement, but now I'm quite
interested in using the drag-and-drop effects.

I found a page by Greg Neustaetter that contains a PHP wrapper he wrote
to work with the scriptaculous sortables.
http://www.gregphoto.net/sortable/

 From Mr. Neustaetter's site: "My PHP class has a function that knows
how to understand the scriptaculous serialized string and translates it
into a simple PHP array with the items and there order. Once I have
this, it's easy to do things like submit the new order to a database. If
you click the submit button, you can see the update statements I would
send to the database. Clicking the 'View Serialized Lists' will fill the
inputs with the serialized lists."

I'd like to do something like this on a project I'm working on.  First,
I want the user to be able to define a set of "categories." (around 8)
Then, I'd like to present these "categories" in a drag-and-droppable
list that the user can arrange in any way they desire - then submit the
new order through a submit button.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

There are many brilliant minds on this list - so if any of you have any
experience doing something like this or may be able to help brainstorm a
way to use this with fx.php, that would be really great.

Thanks in advance!

Alex