[FX.php List] French and not only characters

Rob H. Christensen robhelleshoj at tiscali.dk
Sun May 14 02:16:28 MDT 2006

I think the problem is quite more complex then just putting in a
"charset="iso-8859-1" or "charset utf-8". There seems to be a distinct
difference in the way FileMaker and PHP  work with these special characters.
I have a solution which is in Danish, and it uses the Scandinavian
characters, which aught to be in "charset="iso-8859-1". When I call the
database and display the data in an edit page ( just plain "echo this") the
characters are displayed as they should.  If then the data is edited and I
send the form to the next page, where I again call the same (unedited) data
from the database and compare this with the data in the form to check for
differences, there are differences whenever there are characters which are
not a-z of 0-9.
Though I an still working on this I have a suspicion that characters are
coded differently at the different stages of this process. (like "æ"
in one instance and "æ" in another). I work with FileMaker 6, and I
remember having read somewhere that either FM7 of FM 8 looks different at
these encodings.

Rob