[FX.php List] French and not only characters

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Fri May 12 04:00:37 MDT 2006

On 12/5/06 9:16 AM, "Joel Shapiro" <jsfmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Good memory / educated guess, Andy ;-)  Dale's post of this saved me
> a lot of grief too.  And good advice to put this on all submission
> pages.
>
> FYI to others: there are apparently different charset requirements
> based on the FMServer/Unlimited version:
>
>> FM7SA  FM8SA
>>
>> FM5-6U US
>> charset=iso-8859-1">
>>
>> FM5-6U EU
>> charset=iso-8859-15">
>
> Best,
> -Joel

They're not so much requirements as just what those particular versions of
FileMaker support. - ie, The FM6 family appears not to support unicode
(denoted by the UTF-8 charset declaration), whereas the newer versions do.
It's actually good practise to use UTF-8 in all pages for all purposes
anyway, as it neatly sidesteps most language and character set issues found
on websites.

(Disclaimer: I actually haven't moved any of my sites yet to UTF-8, but
bloddy well should!)

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College