[FX.php List] Web/Database server separation

Thes Quid thesquid at friedbaloney.com
Fri May 5 07:57:49 MDT 2006

I actually do BOTH.
Let me explain:
I have a Filemaker database sitting on a mac mini here at my office
(in China),
which is used directly over the local subnet for the typical
filemaker things, using local copies of filemaker to interact with it.
Sitting directly next to it is my webserver (FreeBSD) which interacts
with the Filemaker database via FX to serve up data from the database.
We've tweaked the code for the MySQL caching, and integrated that
also. I've implemented a special flag that will force refresh the
MYSQL cache in case I want something to be immediately reflected on
the site.
We've got lots of photos, those get mirrored to the webserver via an
automatic wget script.

Here's where the fun comes in: I had the code written to be able to
detect what server it is sitting on. (php can do this)
This can compensate for varying placement of different system calls
AND/OR the ip address/URI of the filemaker server. (we use
imagemagick for example)
The actual code for the site is then server agnostic.
I then copied the ENTIRE site via ftp wget to a remote server (in
this case to Moscow), set up similar MySQL tables on that server, and
BAM the whole thing just works.

What used to be 45-60 second page loads for our customers
(unacceptable) have been hammered down to milliseconds.
Every night, I just expire the MySQL contents, then force-refresh it
through wget -m > /dev/null, which pulls from the filemaker database
to the remote MySQL cache. Speed for that is irrelevant.