[FX.php List] FMSkipRecords

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed Mar 29 14:49:01 MST 2006

On 30/3/06 6:03 AM, "DC" <dan.cynosure at dbmscan.com> wrote:

> Yes, the new link does degrade gracefully in the new example I posted -
> you know, the one after you guys complained about my voiding all over
> the place. Here, I will post it again. Please, disable your javascript
> and reload the page with the following code and give it a try... when I
> have JS on, it goes to file1.php, when i disable JS it goes to
> file2.php. I consider that degrading gracefully.

Oddly I didn't pick up on that, but you are of course right.

> You see that you don't *have to have* a dummy link... your file2.php can
> actually be a real link - in fact you can go to file1.php in the href if
> you want and then handle the lack of POST data there.

Of course, and in fact you should avoid dummy links at every opportunity.

> Actually, I believe we are still squarely on the topic of...
>
> "how to keep your search params intact so that you can pass them from
> request to request because FX linkPrevious and linkNext are applicable
> only to GET implementations." (whew, what a mouthful).

Yes, I guess you're right - I was thinking more strictly about FX and
FileMaker. I'm surprised no one has mentioned sessions for this purpose.

> Yes, and if you don't want to bother installing another JS library and
> tweaking your pages to adapt to the new (notably, cleaner and
> standard-bearing) JS approach, you can just throw the FORM in with some
> JS in there to carry POST data around in every link you make that deals
> with a database.

Generally I roll my own. I've not really bothered with any of the JS
libraries doing the rounds at the moment (prototype, mochikit, behaviour et
al). Mostly because they can be (too) large and unwieldy, but I also kinda
like the challenge :-)

Kev

--
Kevin Futter