[FX.php List] Sluggish load time for query... part two...

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Mar 21 10:06:16 MST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 10:15 AM, DC wrote:

> you say that you "removed" the fields from the "equation" but that
> doesn't really translate into anything as far as FMP is concerned.

I was testing to see if commenting out code would make any difference.

> here is the real issue with "removing" fields: all data from all
> fields on the layout is returned to FX.php as XML which is then
> processed into PHP arrays.

The problem seems to be not in the half-dozen global fields, but in
the ARTICLE and PREVIEW fields; the articles are rather long
sometimes, and the PREVIEW field contains the first 2 paragraphs of
each article.

> Also, I've never seen a layout called '1' before.

I've been doing that for years with CDML, to keep the URLs as short
as possible. I tried creating a new layout called "web" with only the
6 required fields, but it made no difference.

Here's what I've discovered though: when I add the "article" field to
my web layout, things slow down drastically. When I just have the
article TITLE field, it's lightning-fast.

This tells me that XML is bogging down on these long articles...

Bob