[FX.php List] Disappointing results in migration to FM8 & FX.php

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Mar 19 17:15:13 MST 2006

On Mar 19, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Andy Gaunt wrote:

> Sounds like some cleanup is required on your php side.
>
> Firstly, are you returning all 300+ records to the browser at once
> or using
> pagination?

I'm using pagination--20 records per page, and all I'm showing are
the date of the record, the title of the article, and the author's name.

> What is your query or are you doing multiple?

Here's my query:

$search2=new FX($serverIP,$webCompanionPort);
$search2->SetDBData('--fillename--.fp7','3',20);
$search2->SetDBPassword('--pw--','--user--');
$search2->AddDBparam('article',$keyword);
$search2->FMSkipRecords($skipSize);
$search2Result=$search2->FMFind();

> Have you done tests with just the find itself or are you testing
> the writing
> of the HTML to the page?

That's a good idea; I think I'll try the find in a simple page,
although the page that I'm using in CDML is identical--same graphics,
etc. I'm consistently getting 40-second waits in PHP, versus 4-second
waits in CDML.

> You should be able to return your data much quicker than that. Any
> chance of
> sharing your code so we can take a peak and maybe then we can offer
> suggestions as opposed to just asking more questions.

The only other thing on the page is some code that allows the
PREVIOUS and NEXT buttons, but it wouldn't have any effect on the
length of time for a search. Here's the FOREACH part of my code:

	foreach($search2Result['data'] as $key=>$search2Data){
	$recordDetails=explode('.',$key);
	$currentRecord=$recordDetails[0];
	$date = $search2Data['date'][0];
	$title = $search2Data['title'][0];
	$author = $search2Data['author'][0];

Nothing exotic there either, I wouldn't think...

Thanks for any help; this is really surprising to me. I do other
searches on other databases that don't take so long, but this is the
only one that deals with longer text. It's almost as though the
indexing isn't working...

Bob