[FX.php List] phpinfo() sitting around? (WAS: Capturing IP for a choice calc)

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed Mar 1 17:20:11 MST 2006

On 2/3/06 10:37 AM, "Joel Shapiro" <jsfmp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> I see all the phpinfo() pages on that google search, but I'm not sure
> where they're coming from.  Is it from people leaving a php page
> somewhere on their server with the phpinfo() line?    Should such a
> file always be deleted after creating/checking it?
>
> (I see one google result that's just a site's homepage
> (ituneshare.com).  Does this mean they've got an index.php page
> containing phpinfo()?)
>
> Thanks,
> -Joel

Yeah, normally the first thing you do after setting up a new PHP install (or
migrating to a new server that's out of your control) is create a file to
test the installation. Convention seems to dictate that this file is always
called phpinfo.php, and most people just upload it to the root of their
site. They should be deleted after doing their job, but some people leave
them around. If they do, they should move them out of the site root, or
rename the file. On my local or testing servers, I pretty much do that.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College