[FX.php List] Video database - 3 tables

Jane Chinn Jane.Chinn at cwu.EDU
Mon Jun 5 14:21:31 MDT 2006

Hi,

I put together a database based on one I had long ago that allowed
you to copy the contents (Mac only) of a directory of images or
videos and run a script that created records after pasting the
contents of the directory in a field.  I wanted to extend the
capability to include 3 relational tables consisting of a different
video format for each one.  The tables include Real Video, QuickTime
videos and iTunes videos.  The path and name field can be linked to
for streaming (.rm and .mov) or download (.m4v).

The fact that each table will have its own directory of videos based
on format required a different path for each.  I was able to create a
SN as a primary key and match field.  I know there was probably a
better way but I found a solution by creating a text serial number
field in the main database.  When the match serial number is typed in
the main DB then the fields in the related table get filled in.

It seems that what happens is that there is an overlap of records on
the layout.  I have the fields for each table showing on the layout.
So there is a set for SN, Faculty Name, Video_name,
Video_Path_And_Name, Description, connectionspeed, etc.

There are 12 iTunes videos, 8 Real videos, and 6 QuickTime videos in
my example.  Unfortunately that means there are only 12 records.  So
when I do a search in a web page layout in table format for Real
Videos it shows 12 records but 4 of which are empty because there are
only 8 Real videos.

Can someone tell me the error in my logic and what I might do to make
this a better solution.  Does the problem  lie in the design of my
related tables?  I really only wanted to combine 3 tables with
different paths into one large table with individual records.  So my
hope was that it would show 26 records not 12.  Of course the script
in the original tables required that I keep the 3 tables separate.

Attached is a copy one of the tables - The rm_videos table.  It uses
a link that will stream the videos.  Notice the script called Create
Records.
I also attached the mtisvideos table which is the main DB.  The
username (no password) is admin.

Thanks,
Jane