[FX.php List] Searching 500,000+ records

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Jul 27 21:06:07 MDT 2006

Hi list folks,

I've got a client for whom I wrote a parser in Visual Basic a few
years back, which generates HTML pages. In the last 5 years or so,
his site has approx. 500,000 of these little HTML pages on it (!),
and I've been trying to talk them into moving the whole thing into a
database, which is what it should have been from the start (but they
wouldn't go that route).

Anyway, I'm going to write a new program (I'm going to port their VB
project into RealBasic for the Mac) that'll take these pages and pull
them into a text file, which I'll then import into a FM 8.5 database.

Question: can I expect fairly snappy results from a search of 500,000
+ records, assuming they're using a fast dedicated FMSA machine on
which they're the only database, and also assuming the search is only
looking at a single field with some sort of numeric ID in it?

Thanks,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954