[FX.php List] Just Curious

Michael Layne fx at 9degrees.com
Thu Jul 20 15:01:52 MDT 2006

I found myself in front of a computer in college trying to build a
database to manage a small business with DATAEASE (anyone heard of
that?).

Since then, it's been entirely self-taught XHTML, CSS, PHP,
FileMaker, MySQL, etc. - one note - most "self-taught" folks must
give some credit to those that post things for us from which we learn
(like Chris Hansen).

I think that's pretty common - the self-taught bit.  All those people
that took PHP or FileMaker in college are now accountants, history
professors, or sherpas.

Michael

On Jul 20, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Chris Hansen wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> I don't have formal programming training (except the odd
> programming class).  I have been programming since I was 14 (22
> years), but I'm self taught for the most part, and my degree is in
> English, not anything technical.
>
> --Chris Hansen
>   FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
>   Creator of FX.php
>   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
>   www.iViking.org
>

> On Jul 20, 2006, at 9:39 AM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
>
>> As many of you on this list have (painfully) witnessed, I am
>> slowly but surely building my CWP skills with fx.php.....and I
>> have a question for the List.
>>
>> What is your (formal) training in programming?
>>
>> Persoanlly, I have a mechanical engineering education, but no
>> formal computer science training.  I don't know any computer
>> languages. I have taught myself HTML, CSS and now fx.php and
>> PHP....and of course FileMaker.
>>
>> I'm just wondering how many others are in the same boat, or have
>> formal programming skills such as C, that transfer well to
>> learning PHP.
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

>> --