[FX.php List] FindAll search is slow !!

Michael Layne fx at 9degrees.com
Wed Jan 25 15:16:31 MST 2006

Ankur,

I agree with the others... those steps should increase the performance
quite a bit.  I did notice in the query string that one of the
parameters is a related field...may be part of the slowdown.

I believe I can help...  are you willing to send me your database and
the php files?  I can probably see exactly what the lag is and provide a
fix through some optimization.

If you like... fx at 9degrees.com

Michael

Ankur Goyal wrote:
> Thank you all !
>
> Here is the link to the search page:
> http://134.197.41.38/mshcp/references/brrc/search.php
>
> And if you click on "Find all Record" , you will see how slow it
> is...:( (it goes to result.php)
>
> This is a Reference database, with two tables:
> 1. References table: around 75 fields, total 7293 records
> 2. Authors table: around 7 fields, total 14,798 records
>
> Every reference has a set of authors, and these two tables are joined
> together using "reference serial number".
>
> When you search, it goes to a layout called "result.php", which has
> only 25 field, all of them, I am using on the result page.
>
> And then, on the result page I'm doing all sort of calculations based
> on the citation type, like the sequence of the authors (which comes
> from the second table), position of the different fields..etc
>
> Please let me know, if it make sense to you guys, also if you need any
> other information. Thanks again.
>
> Ankur
>

> On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Derrick Fogle wrote:
>
>> The overhead is probably in the transfer of the data out of FMP into
>> PHP. How many fields do you have, and how much data is in, the fields
>> on the layout you are using? Make sure your layout doesn't have any
>> more fields or data than absolutely necessary.
>>
>> I've got a DB with nearly 100,000 records in it. A search and return
>> of 100 records is nearly instant. A return of 5,000 records takes
>> 10-15 seconds. A return of 25,000 records takes about a minute.
>>
>> I've only got 5 fields on the layout, and each total record size
>> averages about 50 characters, with an max of about 300 characters.
>>
>> On Jan 25, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Ankur Goyal wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a database with 7250 records. I have a search page with a set
>>> of fields, when I do a search on a specific field, the results come
>>> pretty fast, but when I do a "find all" search, it is really slow !!
>>> (sometimes take 1-2 mins)
>>> I checked the database, and "Find All" search is pretty fast there
>>> ...so I am not sure, if my PHP code is making things slow !!
>>> Once I get the data from the database, I'm doing a set of
>>> calculations with PHP in-order to display that data in a specific
>>> way to my users.
>>>
>>> Please provide me some guidance/recommendation...I am not sure,
>>> what's making it slow ??
>>>
>>> Thanks !
>>>
>>> Ankur
>>> FX.php_List mailing list