[FX.php List] Need FX.php website examples

Andy Gaunt andy at fmpug.com
Fri Jan 20 08:43:21 MST 2006

http://www.wedplan.com is a good site to show the speed and responsiveness
on proximity searching. By this I mean give me all the Flower vendors in a
25 mile range of zip code 53207 for example

The database is being queried to check for the validity of the zip code and
then a second time to find all the vendors in the category searched for.

Once this information is gathered we let PHP take over with its speed of
processing. A foreach loop is done through all the vendors to find their
distance from the starting zip code. This involves calculations based on
both the Latitude and Longitude. Once the calculation is performed a
distance is returned.

IF the vendor is within the distance specified then they are added to a NEW
multi-dimensional array which upon completion of the foreach loop through
the FileMaker database is then sorted in ascending order of distance and the
information is displayed on the HTML page.

Try out a couple of searches yourself on some of the vendor categories. A
couple of Zip codes to use are 53717 and 53207.

This site also shows a great use of sub summary data on the show prizes
page.

http://www.wedplan.com/prize_list.php

Select either the Madison or Milwaukee areas to perform a search. This is a
single query to Filemaker that then loops through the data and displays the
prizes for each category, and yes the category titles are part of the
foreach loop.

We also use this technique to great effect on http://www.fmpug.com which is
FX.php driven, primarily using this subsummary on our Friends of the pug
page, and also the reviews page. Now  the review page is a single query to
FileMaker which then loops through the data array and creates nested
sub-summaries.

We first setup the category of review, then the items within that category
and within the items a nested set of the reviews themselves.

Don't tell me FileMaker cannot be quick on the web with a lot of data. It is
just a matter of constructing your queries properly and efficiently. Let PHP
do more of the walking for you.

P.S. Both these sites implement a web log directly into the database, so
each page you go to a FileMaker query is run to create a new web log entry.

Andy Gaunt
T: 407.810.4722
andy at fmpug.com
http://www.fmpug.com

Recipient of FileMaker's 2005 "Mad Dog" Public Relations Award

For chapter locations, dates & times please visit the website at
http://www.fmpug.com If you can make it to a meeting, please RSVP at
http://www.fmpug.com/rsvp.php