[FX.php List] Server 8 Advanced

David Ness fxphp at davidness.net
Tue Jan 3 20:30:21 MST 2006

I received FMSA v8 (it came as 8v2 right Œout-of-the-box¹) last week, and
have it running on my Mac OS X server supporting a moderately feature laden
fx.PHP site I¹m developing for work.

I had some initial installation problems regarding the install documentation
to properly instruct, and the installer to subsequently install, the new
version on my OS X Server FMSA7 system (having to do with quitting all
FileMaker related processes), but after getting past that, I initially felt
that there was a significant performance decrease (odd 1-8 second stalls
happening frequently upon fx.PHP-FileMaker calls), But other than the
stalls, the functionality was fine. The stalling was consistent all weekend
(yes, I worked on fx.PHP all weekend). I did not change the server type of
course: $dataSourceType = 'FMPro7';

I tried accessing the same server remotely today, and noticed no stalling,
so it might be just a local thing. Also, my test server is a Mac OS X 450Mhz
w/384MB RAM, not exactly a powerhouse, though the FMSA7 seemed alright with
it.

I just (meaning just now, after having just typed the preceding paragraphs
:) did a couple of restarts on the server (for a different reason), and now
I¹m not seeing the stalling problem, so maybe the problem is resolved. If
so, all¹s well (so far) with FMSA8 and fx.PHP.  (And yes, I did some
restarts after initially installing FMSA8 last Friday, I¹m not quite that
daft.)

Still would like other¹s feedback to see if anyone else has any initial
impressions...

Enjoy.

- David Ness